Friday, October 23, 2015

Confusingly similar words

Here are some words that are annoyingly similar, especially if you're taking a certain exam and there is a risk that you will spend all your time talking about a wrong topic. I'll keep adding to this list as I notice more words that might be confusing.

  • Eläin is an animal. Elämä is life.
  • Liikenne is traffic. Liike is a movement or a store or a shop. Liikunta is sports.
  • Aika is time. The genitive of aika is ajan, which is also the first person conjugation of ajaa, to drive.
  • Luonto is nature. Luento is a lecture. 
  • Kylä is a village, but it's also used in the expression käydä kylässä, to visit someone. 
  • Menestys is a success. Menetys is a loss.
  • Ohjelma is a programme. Ongelma is a problem.
  • Terveellinen is healthy. Turvallinen is safe. 
  • Patient is eihter a noun potilas or an adjective kärsivällinen.
  • Liha is meat, lihava is fat, lihas is a muscle. Lihaksikas is muscular. Don't confuse that with lihasika, which is a pig that is raised for its meat.
  • Valita is to choose. Valittaa is to complain. Välittää is to care or to pass on. 

p.s. If you like my blog, you might also like my Facebook page and my Instagram account. If you are looking for something to read in easy Finnish, you can reserve an easy Finnish novel simplified by me from you local library!

14 comments:

  1. Minulla on seurava ehdotus: Välittää, Vallita, Valita ja Valitta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaikuttaa (to seem/influence/affect) ja vakuuttaa (to assert/convince/reassure)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and "vaikeuttaa", to make something more difficult! :)

      Delete
  3. Niinpa... tyttöystäväni vielä nauraa kun muistaa minun "olen paholainen" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have to think about words beginning with 'yksi-' like yksinäinen (lonely), yksityinen (private).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tästä voi olla apua: http:// randomfinnishlesson.blogspot.fi/2013/05/yksi.html?m=1

      Delete
  5. I keep confusing jäädä, jättää and jatkaa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always trip over vaille and vielä

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personal favourite,

    Tapaan hänet = I'll greet him

    Tapan hänet = I'll kill him

    Finnish vowel length, a matter of life and death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, how could I forget that one from this list! Now it's updated.:)

      Delete