Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pharmacy shopping in Finnish

Apteekki is probably one of those places where you just want to take care of your business as fast as possible and get back home to rest. Parane pian! - Get well soon!

Common cold and aching:

  • Mun nenä on tukossa. - My nose is stuffy.
  • Mun nenä valuu / vuotaa. - I have a runny nose. 
  • Minulla on yskä. - I have cough. (kuiva = dry, limainen = slimy)
  • Mulla on kurkku / selkä kipeä. - My throat / back hurts. 
  • Minulla on pää kipeä. - I have a headache. 
  • Minulla on kuumetta. - I have fever. 
  • Joka paikkaan sattuu! - I am hurting all over!

Intimate issues:

  • Minulla on ripuli. - I have a diarrhea. 
  • Minulla on ummetusta.  - I'm constipated.
  • Minulla on peräpukamia. - I have hemorrhoids. 
  • Tarvitsen jälkiehkäisyä. - I need emergency contraception. 
  • Haluaisin ostaa raskaustestin. - I'd like to buy a pregnancy test. 

Or, just show the pharmacists what's going on:

  • Saanko näyttää sinulle jotain? - Can I show you something?
  • Mikä tähän auttaisi?  - What would help with this?
  • Onko tähän jotain lääkettä? - Is there some medicine for this?

p.s. Here's my pro tip if you have kids with warts: Syylä is a wart. Syylend (liquid, not the pen) is the best product to get rid of them. Trust me, I've tried them all.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment