Punainen kuin veri is the first novel of a trilogy. The heroine, Lumikki Andersson, is a 17-year-old high school student in Tampere. She and her classmates end up solving a mystery of a plastic bag full of bloody 500 euro bills. You can get into the mood of the book through these book trailers, even in multiple languages.
The trilogy has been really popular in many countries. (Lumikki means Snow White.) I chose this trilogy to be simplified, because it is suitable for both teenagers and adults, and I thought it might be fun for the readers to follow the same character in three stories. Also, they are planning a movie based on the trilogy.
I'd say that the fastest way to get the book is by ordering it online. You might also find the book in a good bookstore, or ask the bookstore to order it for you. You can definitely borrow or reserve Punainen kuin veri from any Finnish library. If it's not on the shelf, ask the library staff for help.
The original novel has approximately 250 pages, but the novel in easy Finnish has only 120, and the lines are much shorter than in a regular book. The sentences are short, and the complex grammar structures are made much easier.
I hope that you'll like the novel! It is also a great gift for someone who is studying Finnish and has reached at least an A2 or B1 level in their studies.
- A blog post about Punainen kuin veri. (Feel free to leave your book review here!)
- A free online course about Punainen kuin veri (Each section of four or five chapters has a short synopsis, a printable worksheet and ten multiple choice questions.)
- Punainen kuin veri vocabulary in Memrise
- Selkokirjalukupiiri - An easy Finnish book club
- Booking a library book online in Finnish
- Online book shopping in Finnish
- Me talking about the book in a podcast
About the author of this blog:
Nice to have you here! My name is Hanna Männikkölahti, and I am a native Finn who gives private lessons via Skype and simplifies books into easy Finnish. Please leave a comment, if you have something to ask about Finnish.