Friday, August 10, 2012

nukkua - nukahtaa

In many cases, people seem to overuse the verb nukkua, to sleep, and deny a perfectly good verb nukahtaa, to fall asleep. Here are some examples of both verbs.

  • Nukuitko hyvin? - Did you sleep well?
  • En ole pitkään aikaan nukkunut näin myöhään. - I haven't slept this late for a long time. 
  • Antakaa minun nukkua! - Let me sleep!
  • Nukutko mieluummin ylä- vai alasängyssä? - Do you rather sleep on the top or on the bottom bed?
  • Mennään nukkumaan! - Let's go to sleep!

  • Mä melkein nukahdin. - I almost fell asleep.
  • Mä taisin nukahtaa hetkeksi. - I think I fell asleep for a moment.
  • Miksi se ei nukahda? - Why doesn't s/he fall asleep?
  • No nyt se vihdoin nukahti! - Well, now s/he finally fell asleep!

These are the four useful forms of the verbs:

  • nukkua, nukun, nukuin, nukkunut (to sleep)
  • nukahtaa, nukahdan, nukahdin, nukahtanut (to fall asleep)

No comments: