I hope that I don't offend too many readers with this post!
I'm sure that many of you have giggled at megapussi at the potato chips aisle in a Finnish supermarket:
Well, there's more. Are you familiar with these everyday Finnish words and their meanings in other languages?
Here are the translations and meanings in different languages:
- aho - a glade, uncultivated land, also a common Finnish last name (アホ , idiot in Japanese)
- Hui! - Oops! (хуй, dick in Russian)
- jopa - even (жопа, ass in Russian)
- Katso! - Look! (cazzo, a penis in Italian)
- kirja - a book (کیریا, a motherf*cker in Farsi)
- koskaan - ever (کس کان, a vagina-butt in Farsi)
- kun - when (کون, butt in Farsi)
- lohi - salmon (лохи, stupid guys in Russian)
- maukas - tasty (sluts in Latvian)
- merta - a p artitive form of meri, a sea (Merda is sh*t in Italian and Portuguese)
- pukki - a male goat (пуки, farts in Russian)
- suka - a horse brush (сука, slut in Russian)
(I'm sure that there's more, so feel free to share more examples in the comments. Kiitos avusta!)
p.s. If you are wondering which foreign words and names sound funny to Finns, well, this guy is the winner.